Kenneth Schumaker’s practice focuses on all aspects of general civil litigation with an emphasis on construction law, which includes the representation of contractors, developers, owners and design professionals, contract and real property disputes, business and commercial matters, and insurance coverage and litigation issues. Ken’s construction practice includes contract drafting/negotiation, bid protests, in-project consultation, and claims advice.
Ken is an AV Peer Review Rated lawyer, the highest rating given by Martindale-Hubbell for legal ability and ethical standards. He was listed in Sacramento Magazine's Top Lawyers list in 2016 and 2021.
Ken received his J.D. from Boston University School of Law in 1995. While in law school, he served as an Articles and Book Review Editor for the Boston University Public Interest Law Journal. Ken graduated from the University of California, Berkeley in 1992 with Bachelors Degrees in History and Political Science. He was admitted to practice in California in 1995, and was also admitted to practice in Nevada in 2000.
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- Named in Sacramento Magazine's Top Lawyers List (2016, 2021)
- 2016 CFMA Sacramento Chapter Associate Member of the Year
- “A Construction Claims Primer: An Auditor’s Impact on the Claims Process,” 2015 National Association of Construction Auditors’ Annual Conference (March 31, 2015)
- “How to Manage Construction Claims,” CFMA Sacramento Chapter (October 23, 2015)
- “Managing Construction Claims: What Do You Do When a Good Project Goes Bad, or a Bad Project Gets Worse?”; 2012 National Association of Construction Auditors Annual Conference (September 17, 2012)
- “A Construction Claims Primer: What do you do when a good project goes bad…or a bad project gets worse?”; Construction Financial Management Association, Sacramento Chapter (March 16, 2012)
- “California Construction Contracts: ‘Battleground’ Clauses,” Construction Financial Management Association, Sacramento Chapter (September 16, 2011)
- “The 2012 Mechanics’ Lien/Collection and Insurance Primer: Stay Ahead of the Curve,” Sacramento, CA (September 15, 2011)
- “Survive & Thrive: New Legal Tools For Your Toolbox,” San Ramon, CA (July 27, 2011)
- “Survive & Thrive: New Legal Tools For Your Toolbox,” Stockton, CA (May 11, 2011)
- “Public Works Construction: The Successful Project Primer,” Placerville, CA (March 1, 2011)
- “Survive & Thrive: New Legal Tools For Your Toolbox,” Sacramento, CA (January 27, 2011)
- “Federal Construction Contracting: The Basics,” Sacramento, CA (April 13, 2010)
- “Inside Counsel’s Guide to Preparing for and Managing Unexpected Legal Challenges and Emergencies,” Association of Corporate Counsel, Sacramento Chapter, Sacramento, CA (April 16, 2009)
- “California Public Works Construction Projects,” Dublin, CA (April 15, 2009)
- “California Employment Laws & the Construction Industry,” Sacramento, CA (March 24, 2009)
- “California Employment Laws & the Construction Industry,” Sacramento, CA (November 11, 2008)
- “Construction Law and the Receiver,” Presenter, Sacramento Receivers' Forum, Sacramento, CA (November 29, 2007)
- “California Public Works/Construction Contracts from Bidding to Completion,” Panelist, Lorman Seminar, Sacramento, CA (2005-2009)